Drive directly from Mekelle to Kafta Sheraro National Park. Tour Start at 12:00 (06:00 GMT+3) local time early in the morning. We’ll pass through the valleys of Asgede, parts of Adiabo, the historic town of Dedebit, cross the 4th bridge on Tekeze, Mezega (the largest sugarcane plantation field under modern irrigation installation), Wolqait, and Qafta.
We’ll find the following cities, towns and places on the way:
Romanat, Gereb Giba1, Tikul, Al’asa, Hagereselam, Seret, Menewe2, Sele Weyni, Agbe, Abiy Addi, Werqamba, Weree (river gorge), Mai Qinetal, Felafil, Rahya, Adwa, Axum, Wuqro Maray, Selekleka, Beles, Shire, Kisad Gaba, Mai Tuwawa, Mai tel, Mai Hanse, Dedebit3, Tekeze bridge4, Mezega5, Nay Qalsi, Mogu’e, Mai Temen6, Mai Qeyih, Miglab Feres, Adi Goshu, Sifra Hatsey Yohannes7, Mai Terebil, Sheik Menshel8, Giyits, Deguagum, Wuhdet, Zerbabit, Mai Qoma, Idris, Adebay9, Kafta Sheraro National Park.
- Giba river where Mekelle Water Supply’s huge project is under construction
- the birthplace of Ra’esi Alula, the first African General
- The birthplace of TPLF and launching of the 17years of bitter struggle.
- There are 6 bridges along the river Tekeze so far. 1st one is on the hydroelectric dam, 2nd Tanqua to Fiyel Wuha which is under construction by the Chinese. 3rd Endabaguna to Mai Tsebri (and then to Gondar), 5th Sheraro to Humera and 6th Humera to Omhajer, Eritrea. Another 7th is expected to be built connecting to Sudan. All bridges are highly secured and under human surveillance 24/7. Taking photos is strictly forbidden. When crossing this bridge, for better experience, we’ll ask permission from the security forces to cross on foot. It will be amazing.
- Few kms ahead from the bridge, there is a sign post at a turning point to the left which takes to Mai Gaba, Zarema Dam, Ketema Nigus (seat of Tsegede Woreda), and then to Dansha, through which you can go to Humera or Gondar. There is also a historic palace known as the Palace of Aya Nayzghi or Mulu Palace. According to some written accounts Aya Nayzghi was ruler of the Wolqait area during the time of Raesi Dejen (Ras Dashen). We take the main road ahead to find Mezega, the biggest sugar plantation field. To the right on the roadside is a huge camp of Netafim, the famous Israeli irrigation company, working to install a modern irrigation system across a 7000 sq. meters for Wolqait Sugar Factory. At this point, we will leave the main road into a concrete road onto the right. The main road we are leaving takes to Wolqait Sugar Factory, Qorarit, Qaqa falls and twisted roads, Adi Remets, and then branches out to Dansha and Qafta.
- We’ll join here the main road that comes from Shire through Sheraro
- 8km east of Adi Goshu. This is a historic landmark where Emperor Yohannes stayed when campaigning to fight with the Mahdists of Sudan.
- another historic Islamic landmark celebrated by annual pilgrimage,
- After driving 7km from Adebay into Humera, We’ll find an entrance curve to the park.
Overnight in the park, camping.
Things to do at night:
- Fix camping tents
- Roast meat
- Discuss about the park and have fun
Day 2: Explore the park
- Wildlife (trans-boundary African elephant (if lucky), demoiselle cranes. Lion (not commonly seen, was only found rarely during a recording time), leopard, caracal, aardvark, greater kudu, roan antelope, red-fronted gazelle and red-necked ostrich.
- Trees, plants and vegetation communities
- Ecology of Tekeze river and sand walk in riverside.
- Eritrea’s Gash barka landscape
A relaxed late afternoon drive back to Sheraro/Shire for overnight in a hotel.
You can find the park in our carefully designed high quality graphic tourist map.
Day 3: Drive back to Mekelle visiting some places on the way
- Kunama Museum, Sheraro
- General Hayelom Araya statue at Adi Nebrid.
- the pre-Axumite archaeological site of Mai Adrasha
|< End of tour >|
Important things to have
- ID Card
- Bedsheet and light blanket
- Personal light torch
- Scout and Guide
- Water ½ Day 1 and Day 2
- One-night accommodation (Tent and sponge/sleeping bag (two people in one))
- Dinner Day 1 & Breakfast Day 2
You can download this tour package in PDF.